8.05.2012

word family workbook

I still have over a month until school starts, but I am already getting everything ready. I have been in my classroom everyday for the last week and I am getting really excited for a new group of firsties!

Each year I like to create a couple of workbooks that my students will keep in their desks all year long. 
This year, I really want to focus on word families to help with spelling, reading, and phonics.

So... I have created a Word Family Workbook with over 60 word families to choose from! 
I will be making one of these for each of my students.


To make the workbooks for my students, I will copy off all the word families we will be learning about in first grade {we won't be learning all of these}, I will put them in the order we will learn them, and then I will bind them as a book! BTW: If you don't have access to a binding machine, then a small binder or folder {with three-hole-punch tabs} will work just fine! Or you can forgo the book idea and just pass out a different worksheet each time you teach your students about a new word family.

The word families included in this packet are long and short vowel word endings and are listed below:


  Each word family includes an example with a picture to go along with it.


This download includes:
-2 different book covers to choose from
-More than 60 different word families to teach your students
-Blank page for word families that aren't included in this packet


20 comments:

  1. I LOVE this...perfect for firsties!

    Gladys
    http://teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com
    teachinginhighheels@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies! I am excited to make these all for my kiddos!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, little lady! What a wonderful idea. My kids last year LOVED your adjectives book...they added to it all year long. This is another helpful resource that my kids will love!

    Thanks, Lindsey...you are the best.

    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. over a month til school starts?! I'm SO jealous!!! I love your blog... I'm in my first few years of teaching, too, and you always have such great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer took the words right out of my mouth. This is AWESOME! What a pack my friend . . . what a pack!

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey, this book looks amazing! It is so perfect for my 1st graders! Thanks you for all your hard work :)

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always get so jealous that some teachers can go into their classrooms whenever they want! By contract, we are allowed in 2 weeks ahead of time, but there is summer school in my classroom up to the week before school starts, and then the custodians still have to do summer cleaning! I am beginning to panic about when I can set up my room since it is a different room for me this year. Love the word families packet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey, have I told you lately that you are amazing, because YOU ARE!! This is absolutely perfect for my first graders. Your word family book would make a great weekly center. Love it! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! Word families are so important for students. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lindsey - those are soo cute. You always make the best stuff. :o)
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindsey - those are soo cute. You always make the best stuff. :o)
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute. I love the font you use. What's the name of it?
    I'm new to blogging and am glad I found yours! Check mine out :)

    2nd Grade Teacher
    The Sweetest Thing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love this! It is already in my TPT cart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome! I've been working on creating something really similar but I'm calling them Phonograms since that's what my school teaches. They say great minds think alike... :)


    Emily
    Tangled with Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great! I just put it in my TPT cart!

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks wonderful! I love the little word family house. =)

    You are awesome! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! We're switching our spelling words to word families this year and this looks perfect for my kiddos! Going to check it out now! Thanks so much!

    Caroline
    A Tale of 2 First Grades

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there! Love your blog!! I was wondering if you had any recommendations of elementary spanish teacher blogs??? I taught HS spanish last year and am switching to elementary school. I'm looking for some advice on being a specials/travelling teacher.


    Thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the love ♥

 
back to top