1.12.2012

teacher tip: permanent markers & whiteboards


Hello sweet friends! I hope you are having a good week. :)

I wanted to share a little tip I learned from a friend that involves a permanent marker and whiteboard.

You are probably wondering what these two things have in common... because who in their right mind would use a permanent marker on a whiteboard...

Well, I am sure it occasionally happens by accident or, if you are like me, then you did it on purpose.  I used permanent marker on a small whiteboard I used for taking lunch count/roll. I drew lines on it to section off the different lunch choices. However, now that I am half way through the school year, I want to use my little whiteboard for something different {a place to put spelling words for the week}. 

Thank goodness for my BFF teacher friend for showing me this awesome trick:
Yay! Now I have a place to put the magnetic spelling words and I didn't have to buy a new whiteboard!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also had to show you our darling January artwork {which I am displaying on my magnetic art wall}. 
To see where this inspiration came from, click here.


Not only is this artwork super beautiful and lovely to look at, but my students really enjoyed themselves!

What fun things do you do during January?

Do you have any fun teacher tips that will make life easier?? {Please share!}

21 comments:

  1. I found out about this tip accidentally. I don't want the permanent marker to erase :( lol

    I also use hand sanitizer to clean my whiteboard and leave it nice and clean!!

    ❤ Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this art project!! Super cute! I can't wait to try it!
    Rebecca
    teachingfirst-abc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day one of my subs wrote over my entire board with permanent marker. My kids were so disgusted! One of them told their mom, "Even we know better than to do that!" Any-whoo, I had to use my other markers to get it off, but it definitely works. It only took a few minutes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this tip! In college, I worked at a restaurant and one of my co-workers wrote something not so nice about our boss on the white board, but in permanent marker on accident!! We had to figure out the hard way how to erase it! :P
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip! I just gave your Action Verb Unit a shout-out on my blog. Come by and check it out ;-)

    Jamie at 2nd Grade Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know for a fact how wonderfully this works...and I learned it from an early childhood educator years ago. I was doing a training for a large group of teachers when I accidentally grabbed the wrong marker and wrote on the white board. GADS! A teacher there shared the tip and viola'...problem fixed.

    Great tip to share with all!

    {Cute art work!}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a follower! I love your winter tree craft!!!

    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several years ago on Open House Night, a little brother of one of my students drew with permanent marker on my BRAND NEW SMART BOARD.

    I learned that finger nail polish remover will make it as good as new! Shewwww....that was a close one!
    -Megan

    http://firstgrademagic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect timing...I needed this tip! Two of my kids wrote with a red permanent marker today, and I was wondering what to do. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tip and I love the art project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the hand sanitizer trick! And Clorox Wipes on chalk boards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your blog! (I'm a new follower) Thanks for the tip! One of my activities I'm doing this month with my kindergartners is taking marshmallows and gluing them to a hot chocolate template to practice addition. I'll be posting a picture of the finished work next week so stop by to check it out! :)

    ~Sarah
    funintitlemath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I consider myself a pro at cleaning a dry erase board. Not sure why, but I'm pretty good at it. Yes, you can do this and for the most part it's successful 100% of the time. My current board has some flaw in it that doesn't allow it to get totally clean. It tell the kids it's because the things you learn should never be totally forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice tip, I have always used nail polish remover, works like a charm.

    Primary Punch

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've used hand sanitizer in the past but the dry erase marker idea is good to know!

    I love the winter trees--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great tip! I'll have to try hand sanitizer too! We have had subs at our school use a sharpie on the Smartboard....HORROR!!!!

    I love your blog Lindsey...you are such an inspiration!

    Bloggy blessings to you!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  17. That tip about the dry erase board is incredible! Thank you for sharing...no more ruined white boards!

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've done that to get rid of permanent marker too!! Although, it's frustrating when I DON'T want it to erase! :)

    Just discovered your blog and am a new follower!

    Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I loved your winter trees and I featured you in my blog post "A colorful winter!" You can see it here http://maros-kindergarten.blogspot.gr/2013/01/blog-post_20.html
    I would love your feedback!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the love ♥

 
back to top